Sunday, March 28, 2010

God is still God

I’ve been thinking about how God is God because of who He is not because of what He does or what He gives…He is simply God.


Last week my mom told me about the song our choir was going to sing on Sunday. The song is called “He’d still have been God.” The premise of the song is that God would have still been God even if He hadn’t done all of those wonderful things that we read about in our Bible. If He hadn’t brought the flood, or made the donkey talk, or parted the Red Sea. He would still be God because He’s God. His actions don’t make Him God. His gifts don’t make Him God. His ability to save us or rescue us or fix our problems doesn’t make Him God. He IS God and that’s enough.



These thoughts have reminded me of one of my favorite stories from the Bible. It is the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. You remember them from the book of Daniel. The story is that the King had built this huge statue and every time all of the musical instruments played everyone in the land was to bow down and worship this statue, basically worshiping the king who had created it. Well, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego knew God’s law and they knew that they were not to worship anyone but God, so when the music played they did not bow down and they did not worship. Of course some of the king’s men just happen to notice this (Right?) and they reported to the king. These guys were friends of the king and so he called them to the palace and wanted to give these three young men another chance. The king told Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego that the music would play again and they would have another chance to bow down to the king’s statue. But they didn’t need another chance. They knew that no matter the circumstance, they were not going to bow down to the King’s statue. Here’s what it says in the book of Daniel, chapter 3 verses 16, 17, and 18.


16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego replied, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty. 18 But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up.”
 Now did you catch the awesome phrase in the middle of those verses…”the God whom we serve is able to save us…But even if He doesn’t…we will never serve your gods.”



But even if He doesn’t… Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego knew God. They trusted Him, they followed Him, they believed in Him. They knew that God had the ultimate power to save them. God could do anything…He can still do anything. They knew that the fiery furnace would be nothing for God…but they also knew that God might chose NOT to save them. They believed in Him enough to know that whatever He did in this circumstance, He was still God…always and forever…God. Their faith did not waiver. They looked at possible death and knew that dying in the midst of serving God was far better than living life without Him. So, even if He hadn’t saved them…he’d still have been God.

Several times in my life I have struggled with that very question…Do I believe that He is God no matter what? No matter what struggle we are facing. No matter how dark the days look, or hopeless things seem…do I trust that God is in control? Can I boldly say that I know and believe that my God is able to save me, but even if He doesn’t, I still trust in Him alone? It is the even if he doesn’t part that gets me…
 I know that God is able to heal, but even if He doesn’t…


I know that God is able to provide, but even if He doesn’t…

I know that God is able to restore broken relationships, but even if He doesn’t…

He is still God! We still trust in him and put our faith in Him…He is God.

My journey of faith has been filled with moments of God asking me…Do you trust only in me…not what I can give, not what I have done or can do…but only me? Is it enough that I am God? Sometimes my answer has been yes and sometimes no, but I am still learning and growing. God is God. He is who He says He is…you can trust Him…no matter.
Whatever your fiery furnace is today…lay it at His feet. He wants you to trust in him. That is all…and that is what I am trying to do…trust.

1 comment:

  1. Great post & video....I especially liked the "garage-studio photos" of the kids. Hahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete