Sunday, February 13, 2011

Starting over in 2011

2011...here it is already the middle of February, we are 6 weeks into this year and I am just now writing. 2010 was a very tough year...our life took a turn that I could have never predicted, but that is the way it is with life...uncertain and unpredictable. I was ready to say good-bye to last year and embrace the new...looking forward to all that was ahead in 2011. But it has not been easy in a different way...the last six weeks have been full of sickness and snow days. I feel like I have spent so much time in my bed between the flu and strep throat and missing school for 5 days because of the snow and now I find myself restless and longing for something different. Isn't it funny how God will do anything to get our attention and make us deal with our junk. I am thankful for that. I'm thankful that He loves us enough to discipline and refine us...to make us into that "new creation." My verse for 2011 is Isaiah 43:18 - 19

 “Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
19 See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland."

Making a way in the wilderness...I'm banking on that for this year, that God will make a way in the wilderness. I am ready for all the sickness and all the cold weather to be over. I want to get back into a new, good routine. These are my goals for 2011...six weeks late, but here they are. (I am hoping by putting them on this blog where I know a few people will read it that there will be a little accountability)
 
1. To be in the word...I had to get a new Bible...mine was filled with details and memories of the past, and we are looking toward the future and new things that God has laid out...I had stopped reading because it was so difficult, but now I am reading familiar passages and they have a whole new meaning for me...I guess that's what they mean by the living word.
2. To work out and get healthy...my health can be an issue and I am determined to work on it this year and get better. I have excerised consistently before and I determined to look better and feel better this year. I know I can do, I want God to be glorified with my choices for my body!
3. To keep a clean house - the house was totally fixed up this summer and I LOVE it...I am trying to keep it clean so people can feel free to drop by any time...we are doing much better at this, but the past six weeks with sickness and snow days...it has gotten to be a little bit of a mess...time to reclaim the clean house.
4. To invest in the kids...quality time with each of them...this has been a challenge...I have been in survival mode for so long that I am still figuring out how to function in this new reality...I must admit I have not been very good with the kids...I am determined to be better.
 
I know there are more, but that is good to start...I am determined that 2011 is going to be a new beginning for me and for us...God has a plan and a purpose for us in this year, in this time and I am going to try to live it out to the fullest...
 
I hope that your 2011 has been going well, but if it has gotten off to a rough start like mine, start over...you can have a new beginning anytime you need...His mercies are new EVERY morning...make it count. He is with you on the journey.

4 comments:

  1. Good New Years goals...Thankful we have new years with new starts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, I just want you to know that this is exactly what I needed to read. I am one of those that struggle with starting over and I feel like these past several months I've been starting things in my life over and over and over again. I have by no means had the year that you have had, but I'm inspired by your post and am strengthened by your testimony to get up and start again! Even if we have to get up and start again 10 more times before it sticks! :) The Lord is faithful!
    Love you and miss you all! I still think back on our memories at Euless quite often. Praying for you!
    Jenny Woodard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful truth. What a smart idea to get a new Bible to start filling in the amazing things God is going to do from this point forward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! You are amazing and you can reach each one of those goals. I will pray that God gives you the strength to keep yourself going. We miss you tons!!

    ReplyDelete