Monday, July 16, 2012

God's Favor

God's Favor...this has been on my mind for the last few weeks. Several years ago when I worked at the church, my good friend Lainie Thomas introduced me to this idea of God's Favor. She said to me on several different occasions that she was praying God's Favor for me and my family. If you were to look in my Bible, especially in the book of Psalms, you would see notes by many verses praying and claiming God's favor for me and my family and the circumstances that we are facing. It is reminder to me that God is always working in us and through us.
        Two weeks ago at church a visiting pastor from San Fransisco preached on the topic of God's Favor. It was an incredible message. Basically, when God's Favor is present, then the impossible becomes possible. In our lives, God is calling us out to do the impossible for Him and He will make it happen. Our response to this is faith. We need to have faith that God is going to show up and take our mess or our impossible dream or the crazy mission He gives us and He is going to make it happen. This can be in small ways and huge ways. The pastor giving the message was talking about his church in San Fransisco. He and his family felt God calling them to San Fransisco. The Mission Board said that every church started in that city in the last 35 years had died. They referred to San Fran as the graveyard for church plants. But Ben and his family went and he convinced a couple of other guys and their families to go to and they started Epic church. And God is making in way in this impossible city. For me it has been little things the past few weeks. Here is an example. As most of you know, I do not work currently and my health is a big issue. This has put a financial strain on our family. So this past week I had to get some stuff at the grocery store. So I put a $40 limit on what I could spend. I had a list. I prayed before I went in. I prayed that God would direct my steps to the right purchases and that He would have favor over my shopping for my family. The total was $40.86. I was so happy that I almost jumped up and down (almost :) I trusted that God would direct me and that is exactly what He did. Now we are trusting God to help me get my health under control. It seems like an impossible task. It is overwhelming to say the least, but I know that God can make a way. I am not expecting Him to cure my diabetes overnight. I know that it will take work and significant lifestyle changes for me, but I am trusting that He will direct my steps to make that happen. We are praying God's favor on my health and job. I don't know what that will look like or what will happen next, but I don't have to know. I just have to trust and keep moving forward to the next thing. Praying that through it all, God will get the glory and that people be impacted by our story.
       I challenge you. Pray God's favor for your family, your church, your business, your school. See what impossible thing God can do in you and through you. I am not talking about a name it and claim kind of favor. It is not God's favor to satisfy your earthly desires. God's favor is never really about you and me and our glory or praise. God will show His favor to impact peoples lives and draw people to Himself and where He will get all the glory. That is really what it is all about, right? Don't you want to get to the end of your life and look back and know that you left it all on the table for Him and His kingdom. Through every crazy life situation you trusted in Him to use it for His sake and His glory. Because really nothing else is going to matter.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment